Portland Civic Theatre Guild New Play Award 2021
The Portland Civic Theatre Guild is seeking submissions from Portland Metro Area playwrights for a new play as part of Fertile Ground 2021.
Submissions will be accepted starting February 1, 2020
Submission deadline is July 27, 2020.
• The Portland Civic Theatre Guild will produce a reading of the selected new play by a Portland metro area playwright as part of the 2021 Fertile Ground Festival of New Works. The production will include a paid professional director and paid professional actors, registration for Fertile Ground, and venue.
• The playwright will receive a stipend of $200.
PCTG also considers all submissions for inclusion in our Portland Civic Theatre Guild First Tuesday Readers Theatre Season. Submissions to our regular season are only made through through the Portland Civic Theatre Guild New Play Award process. The same guidelines apply.
• Submissions must be original full-length plays that have not been produced (though previous workshops and readings are okay). Translations, musicals, one acts and children’s plays will not be accepted. The playwright must be from the Portland Metro Area.
• The play must have 1-6 characters. Plays with more than 6 characters will be disqualified. Please include a Cast List.
• The play must not be scheduled for professional production at the time of submission.
• The manuscript must be written in standard professional play format.
• Please include your name and contact information on the title page. A brief biography may be included, but this is not required. Subject line for submission should read: Fertile Ground 2021,Title of Play, Playwright’s Name. Please limit submissions to one play per playwright.
• Submissions will be accepted electronically in PDF format. Please send submissions to email@example.com by July 27,2020
Previous winning plays include:
The Sweatermakers by Andrew Wardenaar
Love is Enough by Donna Barrow-Green
Deception by Nancy Moss
Rimbaud’s Daughter in Louisiana (or The Drunken Pirogue) by Steve Patterson
Badge of Honor by Tim Blough
I Love You/Who Are You? by Matthew Miller
Shakespeare’s Skull by Rich Rubin
Recent Unsettling Events by Andrea Stolowitz
The Portland Civic Theatre Guild is an all volunteer organization. Its mission is to serve and support Portland’s theatre community. The Guild’s programs include:
• Our First Tuesday Reader’s Theatre season from October through May at The Sanctuary.
• Awards and Fellowships including the Leslie O. Fulton Fellowship, the Isabella Chappell Awardin Support of Theatre, and the Mary Brand Theatre for Youth Program.
Please direct questions about PCTG’s New Play Award to firstname.lastname@example.org.