The Portland Civic Theatre Guild is seeking submissions from Portland Metro area playwrights for the 2019 Portland Civic Theatre Guild New Play Award. The winning play will be produced as part of Fertile Ground 2019: a City Wide Festival of New Works.
Submission deadline is July 30, 2018.
• The Portland Civic Theatre Guild will produce a reading of the selected new play by a Portland metro area playwright as part of the 2019 Fertile Ground Festival of New Works. The production will include a paid professional director and paid professional actors.
• The playwright will receive a stipend of $200.
• Submissions must be original full-length plays that have not been produced (though previous workshops and readings are okay). Translations, adaptations, musicals, and children’s plays will not be accepted. The playwright must be from the Portland Metro Area. Only one submission from each playwright will be accepted.
• The play must have 1-6 characters. Plays with more than 6 characters will be disqualified.
• The play must not be scheduled for professional production at the time of submission.
• The manuscript must be written in standard professional play format.
• Please include your name and contact information on the title page. A brief biography may be included at the end of the manuscript, but this is not required. Subject line should read Title of Play, Playwright’s Name, Fertile Ground 2019.
• Submissions will be accepted electronically in PDF format. Please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30, 2018.
Previous winning plays include:
The Sweatermakers by Andrew Wardenaar
Love is Enough by Donna Barrow-Green
Deception by Nancy Moss
Rimbaud’s Daughter in Louisiana (or The Drunken Pirogue) by Steve Patterson
Badge of Honor by Tim Blough
I Love You/ Who Are You by Matthew Miller
The Portland Civic Theatre Guild is an all volunteer organization. Its mission is to serve and support Portland’s theatre community. The Guild’s programs include:
• Our First Tuesday Reader’s Theatre season from October through May at The Sanctuary.
• Awards and Fellowships including the Leslie O. Fulton Fellowship, the Portland Civic Theatre Award in Support of Theatre, the Mary Brand Theatre for Youth Award, and the Portland Civic Theatre Guild New Play Award.
• The Drammy Awards
Please direct questions about PCTG’s New Play Award to email@example.com.